Hong Kong Buns

Hong Kong Bun, 80 cents each

Make what you want of the name, but (no pun intended), this is in fact called a Hong Kong Bun. It’s similar in shape and size to a long john pastry, yet in flavor, it tastes more like a Filipino Pandesal. Actually, a Pandesal kicked-up several notches, as Emeril would say.

It’s glutenous and slightly chewy, on the sweet side, a little salty, and very buttery inside. Check it out…

These Hong Kong Buns have a sticky glazed sugar coating on the outside, then once you bite into it, it reveals this super-rich, almost cake frosting-like flavor on the inside, as shown. It’s altogether sweet, a little salty and very buttery, although that butteryness could just be lard or some other lipid. Not sure. Whatever is is they make this with, it’s supah’ ONO!

Here’s another look inside, this time using my camera’s flash…

Here’s how they come packed in a box…

Diner C got these for us from Chinatown (downtown Honolulu), although she can’t remember the name of the bakery, yet I know exactly where it is. It’s on King street on the makai side. Darned it, I can’t remember the name either. If you know, please tell us.

I’m thinkin’ this might work as a hot dog bun with a Sinai Kosher Polish Sausage in it, going for that savory-sweet “thang”. Oh, the possibilities!

Hong Kong Buns.

12 thoughts on “Hong Kong Buns

• April 19, 2009 at 7:19 am

San Francisco have this buns all over in Chinese Bakeries. It called Cocktail bun or Gai Mee Bao. Here .40 ea. When I was in Honolulu sometime ago there was a bakery on Hotel St. that sell it too but not as good no buns warmer for it. Now I live accross the street from a Chinese bakery so it no big deal.

There recipe for it in about.com under cocktail bun. Nobody in Hong Kong or states called it Hong Kong bun.

• April 19, 2009 at 7:25 am

Pomai, I think it that woman who sell at KCC those French pastries owned that bakery on Hotel Street. That recipe for it is good on About.Com. Readed somewhere it was her but not as good due it not warm taste better kept warm.

• April 19, 2009 at 8:03 am

See Cocktail Bun on Wiki history of it. This pastry been around in San Francisco since the late 60. Since there not much in Hong Kong Bakeries in Honolulu is reason why. But I looked at it this way they got no mai tai soo and we do they got other things also.

• April 19, 2009 at 8:41 am

Not sure but Rainbow Tea Stop sell Hong Kong pastries in Chinatown.

• April 19, 2009 at 10:06 am

I know that Lee’s pastry kitchen in Chinatown sells Hong Kong Buns. I think it is on King Street. They also sell really good custard pies and cookies! By the way, I really enjoy reading your food blog!

• April 19, 2009 at 10:51 am

EC, that’s the place! Lee’s. A ha. Mahalo!

Betty, I wonder how much different Hong Kong’s baking techniques are in comparison to mainland China? I imagine the British had quite an impact on Hong Kong’s modern food trends.

Erica, Amy forwarded that About.com recipe to me by email.

Michael, ahha! “Cocktail Bun”. That’s it!

Only thing, these Hong Kong Buns didn’t have coconut in it. Yet it kinda’ had a shredded coconut texture on the inside. but I couldn’t taste any coconut per se.

I like the sound of “Hong Kong Buns” better though, as it’s more specific to its region of origin. Ya know.

• April 19, 2009 at 11:26 am

When in Hong Kong the name cocktail bun in Cantonese mean two things. One is chicken tail bun Gai Mee Bao. Second it mean long time ago when it was creative leftover pastrie recycle into a new pastries. Gai Mee is another way of saying overnight or leftover in Chinese. They don’t do that anymore using leftover pastries for it the most popular pastry ever in Asia and San Francisco and states. It fresh made everyday now.

• April 19, 2009 at 11:43 am

A Few of My Favorite Things! Sydney Have cocktail buns challenge. See the differents kind of cocktail buns and the best. Log on cocktail bun to find web.

• April 19, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Now you know what is cocktail bun what next in Hong Kong pastries?
    Could be coconut tart from Rainbow Tea Stop or anywhere that sell pineapple bun (Polo Bao)?

• April 20, 2009 at 6:53 am

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/pineapplebun For picture of how that popular Hong Kong pastry look like. I like coconut tarts sold at Rainbow Tea Stop.

• November 12, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Lee’s Bakery on King St., makai side of the street. Very close to Kekaulike St.
    I only buy the Hong Kong buns and the custard pie there. I’ve tried to buy other pasteries but those buns or custard keep calling my name!