Lunch at 99 Ranch Market’s Food Court

Judging from its warehouse-like appearance and lack of signage on the exterior of the building, you’d never expect just how much there is to offer once you enter what used to be 99 Ranch Market and its adjoining food court, previously known as Moanalua Ethnic Village. The blue awnings are perhaps the only indication there’s something here other than, say, an electrical parts or building supplies wholesale distributor. Which is what you’ll otherwise likely find in the busy industrial area of Mapunapuna where it’s located.

99 Ranch Market is a large asian grocery supermarket chain from the mainland that opened shop here in 1998, only to close recently last year in 2007. To be honest I’ve never been there when they were open, and this was my first time visiting this place in its current incarnation as primarily a food court.

The first impression that struck me as I entered the front door was just how HUGE the place is. At 100,000 square feet of floor space, it’s certainly large enough to accommodate most big box retailers.

Most of the food vendors are located along the front and side area of the open area of the building…

Like any other food court, as you make your way around, you’ll find quite an assortment of take-out eateries, with something for just about everyone. Japanese is covered with Imari (bento lunches, okazuya style) and Sushi Man (similar to Kozo). Get your local grinds on at 99 Local Mix Plate. Or go Vietnamese at Diem 99 Cafe. If you’re craving Korean, check out Bar B. Que 99. Chinese is also in check over at Mini Garden, which is isolated on the other side where 99 Ranch Market used to be…

Also located on this side of the place is a considerably-sized farmers market that had really nice looking produce. Folks were buying, so I assume the prices are good.

The one that really caught my eye was Kit N’ Kitchen Express, who’s had many rave about regarding their main location on University avenue. The contemporary menu looked fantastic, and I came really close to ordering the Mushroom Alfredo Fetuccini special of the day, but ended up getting something else, which I’ll get into in a bit.

There was also a gourmet hot dog stand (can’t remember the proper name) in the center, along with Scoop & Fruit.

Perfect. I’m hitting them up for dessert afterward!

If you venture towards the backside of the place, you’ll find a labyrinth of small shops, including purveyors of cellphones, RC hobbies, computer printer inks and supplies and a chinese nicknacks stand run by Lillian Hong. There was also a Hawaiian Foods take-out stand back there that I can’t give you the name, but it’s there.

Tucked away at the very end of this backside labyrinth is a full-fledged dine-in Chinese Restaurant (can’t remember the name) that was actually quite elegant in contrast to rest of the place and was PACKED. Amazing what you can find withing the inner depths of these kind of places if you really explore!

The clientele during our Friday lunch hour visit was mostly workers from around the area (many in company uniforms), as well as quite a few army service men and women in uniform from nearby Fort Shafter.

Sorry I didn’t get more pictures inside the place, as there were so many people all over, I didn’t want to offend anyone by snapping photos of them without consent.

So what you guys when grind, den?

Diner E was craving Chinese and went with Dim Sum from Mini Garden…

Mini Garden – Shrimp Dumplings and Pork Half Moons

Mini Garden – Baked Charsiu Manapua

Mini Garden – Chow Funn

Guess how much for the 2 dumplings, 2 halfmoons, 1 Manapua and chow funn order? Over $12! Ouch. At least that included a large drink. Still, Diner E was sticker-shocked when the cashier rang him up. I tell you, ‘dem Pakes smart make money. lol

How did he like it? He said the baked manapua was pretty good, but he thinks the Manapua Factory in Manoa is better. The half moons and shrimp dumplings were a winner. The chow funn was OK, but deep inside we know Diner E prefers the more localized Okazuya style. Overall, regardless of the hefty price, he gave his lunch from Mini Garden in 99 Ranch Food Court a 3 Spam Musubi rating.

Diner A took over what is usually Diner E’s dish and ordered the Hamburger Steak “gauge plate” from 99 Local Mix Plate

99 Local Mix Plate – Hamburger Steak plate, $7.25

Like many of the food vendors here, 99 Local Mix Plate has pictures of each plate up on the menu board. The one depicting the Hamburger Steak plate showed THREE hamburger patties, so he asked the gal working if the plate did indeed include that many, to which she concurred, and with that he said, “shoots”, and ordered it.

Here he proudly showcased those hamburger patties stacked three-high…

The top one was cut into to show what it looks like within the patty. Looks like solid ground beef to me. No fillers.

How did he like it? The gravy was fairly rich and hearty, but he mentioned it being a little too thin for his liking. Just a little. The burgers were seared nicely and had good body to it. The mac salad was a little too plain for his taste. Overall, he gave it a 2 Spam Musubi rating. Oh, I also must note he polished his plate… again. lol

Last but not least, we have my order. After contemplating on getting the Mushroom Alfredo Fetuccini over at Kit N’ Kitchen Express, I made one last walk back down the vendor aisle to check back on all other options, finally deciding on Vietnamese with Diem 99 Cafe

What helped sell me here were the actual physical dishes on display under a clear case on the counter…

Upons seeing the abundance of fresh vegetables on each plate, I was sold. Then when I seen “Stuffed Eggplant”, oh, even more so. They also had a stuffed Tofu, but the eggplant better, as part of Special #9 (shown on the top right).

Presenting my plate, “Special #9″…

Diem 99 Cafe – Special #9 plate, $7.25

This “Special #9” includes Stuffed Eggplant, Lemon Grass Chicken, chicken & vegetable spring roll, garden salad, Macaroni salad and rice. All for an easy $7.25. Good deal!

Here’s that stuffed eggplant…

Click to see cross (bite) section view

The nice man running the place told me the stuffing is made fish cake, minced pork and vegetables, along with “secret” spices”. How was it. Ono! I could order just a plate of several of these with dipping sauce and be a happy camper. Anytime a menu item says “stuffed”, I’m always interested, and this one did not disappoint. It seems to be stuffed in the eggplant, then baked slowly until everything is cooked the eggplant is tender, along with a nicely browned top. Very nice.

Cross (bite) section of the springroll…

Dip this in that sweet Thai chili sauce. Very nice.

Tender and moist lemongrass chicken…

The lemongrass chicken was also very moist, with a slight hint of chili pepper on it. This is dipped in that darker brown sauce, which tasted like it had Hoisin and other things in it. Not bad. The fresh greens had a unique Vietnamese style dressing which was slightly sweet and acidic all at once. I don’t know what it is that such an ethnic plate must still include Mac’ salad, but they do (I suppose to appease the locals). The color had a noticeably yellow hew to it, but upon eating it, was suprisingly neautral (I thought it was gonna’ taste like curry). Actually a pretty darned good Mac’ sal’!

I’m giving this “Special #9” Vietnamese Stuffed Eggplant plate a solid 3 SPAM Musubi rating.

After that spicy and complex-in-a-delicious-way Vietnamese plate, I was ready for dessert to smooth my palate out, and simplified with a back-to-basics Soft Serve Ice Cream cone from Scoop & Fruit…

Scoop & Fruit – Soft Serve Vanilla Ice Cream, $1.49

Hit da’ spot!

Not as though the industrial Mapunapuna didn’t have enough eateries everywhere else, 99 Ranch Market Food Court condenses a whole lot more for you to choose from, all conveniently located under one big roof.

99 Ranch Market’s Food Court
1151 Mapunapuna street
833-8899

Related Links:
Satisfy World of Cravings at 99 Ranch food court – The Honolulu Advertiser

19 thoughts on “Lunch at 99 Ranch Market’s Food Court

• October 5, 2008 at 1:15 am

Well I miss Ranch 99 for shopping which back to Chinatown. The food court is very good and price reasonble.

• October 5, 2008 at 2:05 am

My husband and I miss 99 Ranch Market because you could buy fish and crab by the pound and have it cooked up for you to take out. I understand Whole Foods Markets will do that too, but I’m thinking it costs a whole lot more.

• October 5, 2008 at 4:46 am

Surprised you only checked out a few places. From what I remember there’s a whole slew of different eating options.

• October 5, 2008 at 4:13 pm

When I in that area will have lunch there. Like many miss Ranch 99 but Chinatown still best for Asian things.

• October 5, 2008 at 7:42 pm

I love the mini garden located here, it’s great food! I especially love their roast duck and chicken on fried rice.

• October 5, 2008 at 11:00 pm

That stuffed eggplant looked amazing. I can’t get over the fact that a couple pieces of dim sum, chow fun and a baked manapua was over $12. (Pake here — can you tell?)

There’s a 99 Ranch near me just north of Seattle and I was thrilled when they opened. Their eating area consists of a deli counter where you can get roasted duck, roasted chicken, char siu, etc., by the pound. There is also a selection of hot entrees that are extremely cheap. The food quality is tasty but nothing to write home about, but it beats going to Chinatown when you’re craving Asian foods. However, I’m thinking they need to kick it up a notch because a whole bunch of really good Chinese, pho and Korean eateries have opened up nearby and they’re tough competitors to beat.

• October 5, 2008 at 11:13 pm

They need something special for many people to head on to Ranch 99 market food court. In business they more catching to lure people there. Been there and it not enough interesting things .

• October 6, 2008 at 5:32 pm

Is that the same Imari from Keeaumoku Street? I must visit.

The stuffed eggplant you had IS awesome; it looks like an outpost of the Diem restaurant in Queen’s Plaza, downtown. I always intend to try something new, but always blurt out “stuffed eggplant!” to the lady at the counter. Solid, indeed.

• October 6, 2008 at 8:43 pm

It need other businesses to attract more people. Like games center, or craft school, music school ect.

• October 6, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Was thinking kung fu or tai chi classes.

• October 6, 2008 at 9:52 pm

When Ranch 99 was open, we used to go dea a lot. Da place used to be packed back then, was hahd fo’ find parking. Bummers they wen’ close.

Good t’ing, tho’, that da lunch places stay in business. You should check out da bubble tea from Bee’s.

• October 8, 2008 at 7:08 pm

You folks are certainly right about needing an anchor tenant. Surprisingly, even without one, the place was packed. That’s expected though during the lunch hour we were there. Question is, how does it look during non-peak hours?

Some interesting anchor tenant suggestions. Game center. Craft school. Music school. Martial Arts school. How about a culinary school?! Those restaurant vendors could get free/cheap labor hiring the students as interns, while the school would reap the rewards of having a “dynamic lab” right on grounds.

Spotty, not sure about their relation with the one on Keeaumoku, but we thought Imari (in 99 Ranch) was a bit pricey. A single choice entree bento was almost $8, with a 2-choice entree bento a dollar more. Our very own Bento Man’s prices makes that seem out the ball park in comparison. Ironically though, Diner E ended up paying over $12 for his Chinese food from Mini Garden. lol

Nate, yeah, the parking was a bit of a challenge, and very limited considering the room capacity of the establishment.

• October 14, 2008 at 8:57 pm

not all ranch 99 markets are as nice as your’es, ours in kent washington has a food area but does’nt have the food you have shown,no loco mocos, no shrimp dumplins,no ice creams, not even a quarter of the foods, ares is squid, innards
    ,bad fried rice,and bad chow main, wish we had what you had.

• October 26, 2010 at 4:07 am

building supplies these days are very much expensive, i think i would buy building supplies next year~~-

• April 8, 2013 at 10:28 am

When planning a new home one of the first decision concerns finding a home plan. Once the plan has been selected it is time to consider building supplies needed. Some suppliers of plans charge a large fee for a list of materials needed. Larger homes will require more supplies than smaller ones. Additionally, creating a more complex structure needs more lumber than one that is a rectangle.*

Our internet site
    <".http://www.caramoan.co/caramoan-beach-resort/

• August 30, 2013 at 12:26 am

At around lunch time 8/29/13… We brought in pizza but also bought a lot of our food and drinks at 99 ranch. One of the workers at 99 ranch whose uniform was in green had informed few of us that we are not allowed to bring any food inside. First of all, there was no sign, or policy or Regulation in the facility, written to inform customers not to bring in food. No notice at all. So we did not know. According to the person we spoke to had told us that today we will be okay as long as we order food in 99 ranch. It was 11 of us now… So we bought our food inside and ate our lunch and enjoyed our stay that time but for a little while another worker wearing light blue or staff member was really rude to us during lunch. He interrupted us very rudely asking who is the leader of our group. He asked what organization we belong to. Because he stated that we are not supposed to bring in any food from outside because it is unfair to the businesses here in 99 ranch and since the economy is so down, we have to be considerate and that parking is not taken just that anyone can come in to bring in their food. As a matter in fact, he crossed the border line. He asked what type of organization we belong to and who our leader was. As to myself thinking… All we do is just come in eat and enjoy lunch as regular people and as valued customers. He said something rudely that otherwise he would call security on us. Woah there… Ok he does not know this… I’m a state worker and I know state and federal laws. That worker from 99 ranch just completely VIOlATED H.A.R. Law here in Hawaii, which is in fact he discriminated us and of course harassed us! He yelled out us with his tone and we were treated as he was discriminating us, classifying us as to what type of organization we belong from. He left… And couple seconds later he asked again what organization or group we belong to. Again, our friend stated that we are just regular people eating our lunch. Majority of the food we ate are food we bought inside 99 ranch. At that moment I wanted all of us to leave and report and contact management. The worker said we are not suppose to teach or conduct a school inside 99 ranch. Oh my goodness! As soon as he said that, I was super upset. We did not do that, so he immediately assumes that we did it. Right across our table had full of mature ladies doing their bible studies. And he didn’t even try to tell them that but told us instead which we are not even doing at all???? We were just eating lunch. I am super upset at with 99 ranch and I think management needs to know this. 99 ranch just lost 11 customers and as soon people will know this, 99 ranch will definitely lose a lot of customers. The worker in light blue left. All of us were truly dissatisfied and were discriminated and treated rudely. We weren’t even half way there yet to finish our food especially the food we, most part of all, bought inside 99 ranch! I am not afraid that worker calls security on us. I have the right to file for administrative hearing in a appeal of 99 ranch workers discriminating us for misconduct and harassment! while still waiting standing nearby exit door I asked the other worker in green if who was the other worker we spoke to that had interrupted us rudely during lunch. He stated that his name was Nathan. I told him that we were treated unfairly and were discriminated. If you are from management I need you to call me at 780-8150 ASAP and I would appreciate YOU contact me immediately. One of our friends spoke to the security outside and explained what happened. He agreed with us. And that we had no problem at all. I’m sorry to say this, but I am over 100% sure enough that I am not going back to 99 ranch ever again and were going to pass this message to people. You just messed with the wrong person. I will report this to DOL and DHS and especially to Department of Justice.

• August 19, 2016 at 8:07 am

Thats more than spiteful. Yes, Nathan sounded rude, very rude. A simle letter woumd have sufficed.  But you seem to be going for blood.  Be careful, karma….

• September 17, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Found a hair in my tribe stew today (9/17/14). Won’t definite not be eating there anymore!

• September 17, 2014 at 2:54 pm

jude,

“Tribe” Stew sounds like a dish for cannibals. Especially being you found hair in it. lol

Kidding, I know you meant Tripe Stew. Which vendor in the food court was this from?