Have a Macadamia Nut Chocolate Kiss

Before I continue, let me ask, is a single Hershey’s Kisses called a “Kiss”? Or do you still use the plural form and call it a “Kisses”? These are the questions that spin in my mind. lol

The local supermarkets and mega-marts have recently been promoting Hershey’s Kisses with Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts, putting them out on power aisle stacks and end caps. Of course this had a huge signature on The Tasty Island’s radar, so a package landed on our office’ snack table.

Hershey’s Kisses with Mauna Loa Macadamia Nuts- 8 oz, $3.99 (sale price)

Actually Diner E purchased it, so big mahalo to him for that!

If you’re wondering why Hershey’s and Mauna Loa are on the same package, it’s because Hershey’s bought the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut company back in 2004. I did not now that! I need to read the business section of the newspaper more often.

While I’m not a chocolate fanatic in and of itself, if it’s got nuts in it, sign me up!

Let’s look under the wrapper and see what we have here…

I really dig the “Aloha” on the paper tag. Very nice touch. How’s about if they put “Honi Honi” which means “kiss-kiss” in Hawaiian. There ya’ go! On the right Kiss(es), you can see the Macadamia Nut protruding the chocolate shell, giving you the impression that the thing is “all nut”.

Let’s see how one looks by cross-section view…

Wow! Half of an entire Macadamia Nut. This one is “cherry”! Or, um, “nutty”! As it turned out, that was a lucky pick to cut in half, as most of the other Kisses in the bag had chopped nuts in bit and pieces in them. Enough to distinguish the nut’s flavor, but not as good as the ones with larger pieces such as that one. I’d say about a third of the ones I ate had good-sized nuts, while the rest were leaning toward bits and pieces.

The milk chocolate is Hershey’s standard issue, and one I have high respect for, both in quality, taste and texture. You can certainly distinguish a Hershey’s Chocolate from Hawaiian Host, that’s for sure. Both excellent in their own right.

At $3.99 for an 8 oz. package, that’s higher than their regular Kisses, and something of consideration when you can buy a 7 oz. gift box of Hawaiian Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nuts for around two dollars. Still, if you’re into Macadamia Nuts and the flavor of Hershey’s Chocolate, this is certainly something you need to try.

The Tasty Island Rating:

(2) Good. I’m glad I tried it. (Ono)

Note: Relatively high price and dominant Kisses with only bits and pieces of Macadamia Nuts gives this a lower rating.

Related Links:
Hershey’s Kisses with Macadamia Nuts – Candy Addict review
Nuts for Kisses – Honolulu Advertiser
Hershey’s Will Join Mac Nut Industry – Star Bulletin

Coming soon! The Tasty Island “Hawaiian Chocolate Covered Macadamia Nut Smackdown”!…

9 thoughts on “Have a Macadamia Nut Chocolate Kiss

• August 11, 2008 at 9:46 pm

You can get them Costco too. Big 2 or 3lb. bag for $10. I brought some back to the mainland co-workers…

• August 11, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Is this sold only in Hawaii? I can get some to send to my cousins on the mainland. Make gifts that for sure. Wonder if ever a chopped up nuts version will come out?

• August 12, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Hope they make it in dark chocolate for serious chocolate lovers. Now it good for many businesses to merge together since time is hard on many companies. It getting harder to find things to send to mainland due to they got chocolate mac. candies everywhere now and other from Hawaii.

• August 13, 2008 at 3:36 am

The chocolate tastes much better than the regular Hershey’s Kiss chocolate to me. The regular one tastes kind of chalky imho, always has no matter if I bought them on the mainland or here in the islands so it’s not a matter of freshness.

• August 13, 2008 at 5:02 am

I second Amy’s hope that they’ll make it in dark chocolate. I’m not a big milk chocolate fan because a lot of companies put so much filler into their chocolates, but I’ve always liked the Hershey’s Kisses. Their chocolates always taste creamier to me.

I like the whole half of a mac nut but not the bits and pieces.

Wonder if it’ll make its way to the mainland?

• August 18, 2008 at 9:55 am

These special aloha kisses are only sold in the state of Hawaii, they don’t even offer them on the official Hershey’s site where they have all kinds of other different kisses for sale.

• September 7, 2008 at 2:16 am

I finally got to try some! A neighbor returned from a Maui vacation and brought me some of these. I have to say I’m disappointed — All the ones I ate had TINY bits of mac nut in them. As usual for the Hershey Kisses, the chocolate was smooth and creamy, but I don’t think the mac nut made much of a difference.

I would give them half a musubi, even though I really wanted to like them.