One-Ton Ahi Poke Chips

“Weird Food Combo” Exhibit B Equation: 1 lb. Ahi Poke + 1 package Maebo’s One-Ton Chips = One-Ton Ahi Poke Chips

About a year ago, we were having an online discussion on the various uses for One-Ton Chips, when Gail Jennings, contributing editor at HawaiiDiner.com suggested trying One-Ton Chips with Poke. She swears to have many converted followers of this!

Since I recently posted another “Weird Food Combo” in the form of my mother’s Mayonnaise with Mango “madness”, I thought it was a good time to follow-up on that subject by putting Gail’s suggestion to the test. Besides, I LOVE One-Ton Chips, and I LOVE Ahi Poke, so this has gotta’ be good!

So I picked up a bag of Maebo’s One-Ton Chips and a pound of fresh Ahi Poke, shoyu style from Hawaii Kai Foodland in Koko Marina Center. Man, the price of those chips sure have gone up! This rather small, practically snack-size 4 oz. bag costs almost $5 bucks. The fresh Ahi Poke wasn’t bad though, being on sale for $6.99/lb.. Much better than Safeway, who was charging $12.99/lb. for the same thing. The quality of the Ahi was “melt-in-the-mouth” fresh too. Plus, the one I got came from a batch they had just made, so that buggah was almost as good as the Poke from Ono Seafood on Kapahulu.

1 pound Shoyu Ahi Poke from Foodland Hawaii Kai, $6.99/lb.

Maebo’s One-Ton Chips 4 oz. package from Foodland Hawaii Kai, $4.49

Now let’s see… da’ Ahi Poke is fresh: check, and da’ One-Ton Chips are crunchy: check. Well, let’s do this!

Fresh Ahi Poke (Shoyu style) and One-Ton Chips

I didn’t scoop it, which is what Gail suggested, but instead used chopsticks to select a slice of Poke I thought would match the size of chip it would rest it on. So here it goes…

Truthfully, at first I was slightly hesitant. Wouldn’t you be! But I gathered the courage and popped the chip with the poke on it in one fell swoop, closely evaluating the contrasting flavors and textures. I repeated this several times with various poke-to-chip ratios. Overall on each and every bite in varied ratios, it immediately hit me that the Poke overpowered the One-Ton Chip’s flavor, primarily due to the slight sesame oil flavor on it, as well as the Ahi itself. It wasn’t until the the Ahi went down did I detect the chip, as that followed with the crunch-factor, which was nice, but not an outstanding feature of it. Even my girlfriend tried a sample, and she had the same impression.

On top of that, the salt on the One-Ton chip accentuated the flavor of the Poke even further, drowning out the mildly-sweet and hearty flavor the One-Ton chips have on their own.

I really was hoping there was going to be this magical “wow, this is an amazing combo, marriage-made-in-heaven'” impression, but it wasn’t the case. Unless I did something wrong here, I’m not “converted”.

Alan Wong has a menu item called “Poke-Pines”, which are described as ” Crispy Won Ton Ahi Poke Balls on Avocado with Wasabi Sauce”. While I haven’t personally tried that yet, I imagine it has much better balance of all the elements involved.

In closing, while it wasn’t bad, it wasn’t great. I’m glad I tried it, although I wouldn’t put these two together again. Still, based on creativity in its simplistic approach, and potential as seen by Alan Wong’s version, I’ll rate this One-Ton Poke Chips combo 1 SPAM Musubi.

If you ever try/tried this, let us know what you think!

17 thoughts on “One-Ton Ahi Poke Chips

• July 20, 2008 at 7:44 am

We have had poke with lavosh at a restaurant before. It was better because it didn’t have the sweetness of the One Ton chips. The poke was complimented by the texture of the lavosh but did not compete with the flavor at all. Every once in a while my mom will make this for pupu when people come over. We think its Winnahz.

Me and my bruddah both live mainland and check out your blog. Den, when we stay home, we gotta check out the scoops at all da places you go. Mahalo Bruddah Pomai, keep up da good work!

• July 20, 2008 at 6:39 pm

The first thing I was going to get from Foodland when I come back to Honolulu this August was a six-pack of Primo. I will also add to my basket “One-Ton” chips and poke.

• July 20, 2008 at 8:49 pm

I’m glad you were the guinea pig for this one and not me! I love poke and I love One Ton chips, so I’ll be happy to enjoy them separately.

BTW, when I was visiting family in December, I picked up a gallon-size container of the chips at the Hawaii Kai Costco for about $10. I suspect that they were part of the holiday offerings, but if I’m wrong, that would be a very sweet deal to have year-round. It’s a good thing the airlines hadn’t started charging for that second check-through bag, because our bags were full of bulk Costco goodies (One Ton Chips, Island Princess Macadamia Nut popcorn, Iso peanuts, etc.) to take back to the Northwest.

• July 20, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Scott, I was just thinking the same thing. In fact, I was also thinking of putting the Poke on toasted Pita bread, chips style. Or even trying it with the store-bought Pita Chips. But I’m afraid the salt on the store-bought variety might once again be too much. Glad you and your braddah like it here. Mahalo for that! I try to be unique. This is quite unique.

Ottomaeshun, all I can say is you’ll be one happy expat-returned-home with a shopping basket that includes Primo Beer, One-Ton Chips and Ahi Poke. If you try the poke with the chips, let us know, k? While you’re there, don’t forget to pick up a Teddy’s Haupia Pie (from the N. Shore). If not for you, the wahine(s) will love it.

Hey, speaking of Primo, if you know someone with a Costco card, Costco has cases of the new Primo Beer for $26.69. Which is much cheaper than the $9/6-pack price at Foodland.

Speaking of Costco, Jenny, I was just in Hawaii Kai Costco yesterday, and they didn’t have the One-Ton Chips bulk container. I think you’re right; they only bring it in as a holiday seasonal item. I did a post on that a while ago here: http://tastyisland.wordpress.com/2007/05/19/classic-hawaii-snack-chips/

We were like that coming back from Vegas, packing our extra luggage with stuff from Trader Joe’s and the Vegas808 store. Hawaii so seriously needs a Trader Joe’s.

The current cheapest place to buy One-Ton Chips that I know of is Marukai, where’ it’s about a dollar less than Foodland and Safeway. Can you believe Safeway carries it? I was impressed!

I was disappointed Long’s (Hawaii Kai) didn’t have it. One of the cashiers (a younger local gal) didn’t even know what I was talking about! lol

• July 21, 2008 at 4:20 am

There’s a place in Los Angeles that serves (what they call) ahi poke on little potato chip type things. It’s a really yummy combination, so I can see how this might work, but maybe the One-Chips (which I haven’t had) aren’t delicate enough to compliment the poke.

• July 21, 2008 at 7:22 am

Wow pomai, I haven’t had those One Ton Chips since little kid days. I’m going to go look for some to munch on now!

• July 21, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Lilikoi, sorry to hear you haven’t had One-Ton Chips yet. Make that a top eating priority on your next visit to Hawaii! I tell you, they’re totally addicting. Just like Poke.

One-Ton Chips are available at most local supermarkets, but don’t expect to find them at convenience stores like ABC or 7-11. Perhaps Food Pantry in Waikiki may have them. Otherwise, you’ll need to go to Don Quijote, Foodland, Times, Star Market, Tamura’s or Safeway.

iCoty,I know, it sure brings back hanabaddah dayz memories! That and some Tomoe Ame candy and I’m back to being 5 years old again! lol

UES Mayor, I found a Star Bulletin article that features what is called “Asia De Cuba Tunapica” here:

The recipe for the tuna tartar sounds interesting and quite tasty!

• July 22, 2008 at 10:58 am

pomai-that’s exactly the dish i had many times at Asia De Cuba here in NYC-much mahalos!!!!!

• July 22, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I just had some spicy ahi with tobiko eggs in a creamy sauce sushi roll from Keeamoku Seafood Market. Doesn’t that sound good on chips? BTW, they have good poke plate lunch and dried ahi strips. Check it out.

• July 23, 2008 at 8:28 am

ooh, sounds good!
    but about the primo, i heard it was junk–like really junk like my alcoholic father-in-law couldn’t finish the bottle. also heard it had to be recalled couple times cuz the flavor would degenerate after being on the shelves for like a month. i dunno…

• July 23, 2008 at 9:05 pm

Lance, I think it’s more like what timing STAR BULLETIN has. Betty must have gotten the idea from reading this blog entry. lol Just kidding.

I notice for the dipping vessel, they mention using warm French bread, lavosh, pita or artisan breads. Hmmm… they must have forgotten about crispy wonton chips! But hey, Lavosh is good stuff too. I could see that working great.

Based on the ingredients, that Ahi Poke Dip sounds like a winner and worth a try. I also really wanna’ try making that Asia De Cuba Tunapica dish UES Mayor suggested.

Robyn, I just seen a full pallet of 24-bottle CASES of the new PRIMO in Costco this past week. I’m pretty sure they rectified the issue before running a bulk production for wholesalers like them, let alone all retailers for that matter.

• July 23, 2008 at 10:45 pm

man, things have gone up in 40 years, i cannot believe the cost of those chips, and primo for 26 dollars, wow, i think i will stick to my coronas which i can bet here for $17 for a case of long necks. the poke sure does look good and fresh. keep up the very good work. i sure have been enjoying your site.

• July 24, 2008 at 2:08 am

I’ve been nuts for One Ton chips since I tried them after reading your classic snack chips post (of course, I don’t exactly have easy access to them in California, which makes them taste even better when I get my hands on some!). I’m also nuts for poke (and I swear I’m finally going to make it to Poke Stop this next visit), but I have to say, looking at the picture, before I even read the rest of the post, it didn’t sound like a favorable combo, to me. I could almost taste the how the poke would flatten out the salty/savory/sweetness of the of One Ton. Although One Tons themselves are hearty, I find the flavor balance very delicate. It also seems like the textures might not be that complimentary.

At San Francisco restaurant Canteen, I did once have a tuna tartare served with house-made potato chips, and, as someone mentioned above, that is a really good pairing.