Take-Out Sushi Quest Chapter 1: Kozo Sushi

Kozo Sushi – 15 Piece Lunch Box, $5.49

There are now many imitators around town, but the original take-out Sushi in Hawaii is Kozo Sushi. At least, they were the first and only one of its kind to set up shop in my hometown of Kaneohe way back in the 80’s.

To this day, it never ceases to amaze me how affordable the prices are at Kozo, yet the quality of ingredients, made-to-order freshness and overall execution is nearly flawless. You’ll easily pay two or three times the price – in some cases much much higher than that – for the same set at other Japanese restaurants. Especially those that specialize in sushi or seafood.

Just look at that lunch box above, which I enjoyed for lunch today. Fresh Ahi (raw tuna) Nigiri, Ika (squid) Nigiri, Ebi (shrimp) Nigiri, Salmon Nigiri, Egg Nigiri, 2 Inari (Aburage), 2 Futo Maki, 2 cucumber Hosomaki, 2 Tekka (Ahi) Hosomaki and 2 Shinko (Daikon) Hosomaki… that’s 15 pieces, including fresh seafood Nigiri items for just $5.49! Common! That’s gotta’ be one of the best bargains in town.

There are several other combination bentos like this, but the lunch box has all my favorite selections all in one, well-rounded assortment. Nice.

They also have many other types of sushi on the menu, which you can check out at their website.

The most important and defining factor that makes take-out Sushi places like Kozo so great is that they make the Nigiri to order – never premade. So it’s very fresh and the rice is at an ideal state when you get it. Not dried out, stiff or too cold like it often is when you buy those Sushi bentos in the refrigerator case at the local supermarket. The rice has that all-important stickiness to it. Some of the Maki rolls are premade, but always made that day and kept at room temperature, which is important. Refrigerated sushi is just not good.

They’re also very consistent. I’ve NEVER been failed by Kozo. Always satisfied with my orders from the various locations around the island.

Following their business model are some new kids in town such as Aloha Sushi and Sushi Man, which are also respectfully good. I’ll add them here in future “Sushi Quest” chapters.

The company that owns the Kapahulu Kozo Sushi franchise also owns four other locations in Kahala Mall, Pearlridge Shopping Center, Moili’ili and Pearl City near Walmart.

There are also additional locations on Oahu who are owned by various independent franchisees.

Keep in mind that Kozo Sushi is strictly take-out. Most locations usually don’t have seating in the establishment, although they’re usually located in malls where there are seating outside the establishment, like the location on Kapahulu which is tucked between Star Bucks and Jamba Juice.

Whenever folks ask where to go for good sushi, I always suggest Kozo for best bang for the buck, and best of the take-out joints. Highly recommended!

Related links:
KozoSushiHawaii.net

7 thoughts on “Take-Out Sushi Quest Chapter 1: Kozo Sushi

• February 25, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Have you visited Sushi Company on McCully? Very friendly, fresh, and reasonably priced. Their spicy ahi is just about my favorite of any of the “fast food” sushi places.

• February 25, 2008 at 6:33 pm

That’s IT! Hand over that sushi and no one will get hurt. Just wrecked my keyboard with all my drool!

• February 27, 2008 at 1:18 am

wow! $5.49 really is amazing! and yea that is making me hungry!

• February 28, 2008 at 7:44 pm

I now have a new screen saver!

• May 7, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Maybe you should title this entry more prominently as “take-out?” It’s a bit misleading and disappointing right now.

I really like this blog and I grew up in Kaneohe as well… but Kozo Sushi is where I have to draw the line. The last time I ate at Kozo, it was so bad I immediately drove elsewhere to find decent sushi in order to get the taste out of my mouth. I’m not joking.

I guess places like kozo, genki, sushiman, and aloha have their niche. As long as they; use tuna treated with carbon monoxide, use farmed fish from China (check your unagi), not teach their itamae how to cut fish (just look at the picture in the post), and try to sell visibly old slices of fish… I will refrain from eating at those places and will slowly back away from the crazy, wild-eyed people who love them.

• May 7, 2008 at 10:45 pm

Umetaro, that’s a very good point. Done.

Hopefully eating there isn’t making me a crazy, wild-eyed person! lol

Even with those “issues” you point out about their seafood ingredients, the likes of Kozo/Aloha/Sushiman’s sushi can’t be nearly as bad for our health in comparison to a typical fast food mega-burger combo meal.

I know there’s been some news about higher-than-normal levels of mercury occuring in our oceans, causing concern for countries that consume large amounts of fish, especially in raw form as they love to eat in Japan. And me too!

• May 8, 2008 at 6:19 am

Yeah, I think it’s just the disparity between the expectations that the term “sushi” sets in my head and the actual food I receive that makes me so bitter… that or the many childhood issues I’ve never resolved.

Here’s some food pics for you. I visited some of the places in there ’cause of your blog.