Yard House Waikiki

Yard House recently opened their debut Hawaii location in the newly built Waikiki Beach Walk on Lewers Street. Offering 130 varieties of beer on tap, an exciting food menu, rock and roll music and plenty of fun, the formula is bound to succeed, which is evident by the crowds that have already buzzed the place.

Upon entry, you’ll be greeted by a host or two who offer to either sit you at a table or private booth for dinner, or you can opt to seat yourself at the beer tap bar, which is certainly the center of attention here.

There’s plenty of attractive folks to look at, plus also provided for your viewing pleasure are 42″ flat panel TVs located throughout the establishment. This will certainly be a popular place to be for Super Bowl Sundays. The ambiance is rather open feeling, with a wood tavern theme and contemporary paintings adorning the walls. Lighting is ambiant without being annoying.

The only part that actually was annoying was the excessively LOUD rock and roll music blaring throughout the place. While it’s a good way to draw attention from outside, once you’re in and seated, you find yourself having to yell over the music in order to carry a conversation, turning the place into a yell fest. The good thing is the music selection fit my taste for rock music quite well.

All that beer needs a source, which is partially evident by the piping which runs from the bar to to a “keg room” on the right side of the restaurant…

Now these guys are SERIOUS about beer! Here’s the keg room just behind that wall…

An interesting technology is used in the delivery system here. Those black boxes on the wall emit ultrasonic sound waves into the supply lines that keep them clear of mineral deposits that the water from the beer would otherwise leave behind. The entire room itself is kept at a frosty cold temperate. You can see into the room through windows inside the restaurant.

Your uncle Joe’s beer ice box in the backyard ain’t got nothin’ on these guys!

You can order your beer three different ways. By the pint (16 oz. glass), a “Half Yard” which looks like a stretched out, super tall wine glass, or the “Six Pack” which is a preset sampler set of six different brews in 12 oz. glasses.

Here they have the “Six Pack” selection of the day taps tagged…

Here’s a few pints…

The beer list is so long, I can’t even remember ones we ordered here. lol

If beer isn’t your thing, they also have a variety of specialty drinks and a comprehensive wine list.

Just as emphasized as the beer here is the food, to which they have quite an extensive menu. Here’s the service kitchen, located in a room in back with a window for curious patrons to peer in…

On the last visit, we stopped only for short time. With that we ordered their Onion Ring Tower…

They’re beer-battered, not bread crumbed which is a nice change and stacked on a steel rod platform with a steel base. It’s accompanied by a ranch and smoked chipotle dipping sauce. I especially liked the chipotle sauce. Most impressive were how sweet the onions were. They must have been either Maui or Vidalia. Really ono.

They offer a great variety of appetizers, burgers (which I’d like try next), steaks, pastas and other dishes.

Based on the buzz that’s already been stirred and the crowds that’s been packing in, the Yard House looks like it will find great success at it’s new home in Waikiki. Definately check them out next time you’re in town.

24 thoughts on “Yard House Waikiki

• March 13, 2007 at 6:27 am

mmm…beer battered onion rings…was the sauce spicy, and how much was the appetizer?
    Too bad I really don’t drink beer, I’ll stick to my wine and cocktails for now…but it sounds like a fun place to go with friends.

• March 13, 2007 at 8:02 pm

The Yard House is pretty good. There was one right down the street from our office.

• March 15, 2007 at 5:50 am

what an entry!! i love all the photos. i especially like the onion tower ..that’s cool. i enjoy onion rings …with that chipotle sauce …yummy! i’m not much of a drinker …but i will suggest this to my daughter, who loves to ‘party’.

• March 19, 2007 at 4:08 am

I love the Yard House, I’ve been there twice so far and have enjoyed, the scene, the food and the beer. I’m not a newbie when it comes to beer but my palette has yet to sample the 130 on tap. They have a six pack sampler which is awesome for those who don’t know where to start.

So far I’ve tried the onion ring tower, beef kalbi, mac&cheese2, grilled rib eye, lobster garlic noodles. “Beer is liquid bread.”

• June 1, 2007 at 9:40 pm

I am not sure where to direct my complaint or my anger. I began the afternoon with a drive to Waikiki in search of the Yard House. I had been told good things about this place and decided to meet some friends there. When I arrived in Waikiki, I pulled into the Valet Parking at the Embassy Suites on Beachwalk to inquire about the Yard House. The valet gentleman told me I could park at this hotel and as long as I got my parking stub validated by the Yard House then parking would be $5. After meeting friends, spending about 5 hours at the Yard House and paying a tab of over $200, I was shocked to have the valet get my car and tell me I owed $14. According to him, the validation was only good for a certain amount of time and then I was responsible for prime rate after that. I was flabbergasted! When I parked the car there was no mention of a time limit for the $5 parking fee with validation. At this point, I’m not sure who is the negligent party – the valets or the Yard House – the valet who parked my car for not telling me the $5 fee was only good for a certain amount of time, or the Yard House who was supposed to validate me for the entire time I was in their establishment – spending money, or the valet that retrieved my car asking for $14 even though I had a Yard House validation. In any case, one of these establishments either made a mistake or was intentionally misleading. If this was intentional and a normal practice for your business then it is an establishment that I will no longer support or encourage my friends to support. It is a shame that what started as a nice afternoon turned into such a miserable experience for me. I truly hope you don’t treat all your patrons the way I have been treated.Janet Baker

• June 12, 2007 at 12:37 pm

if you plan on dining at the Yard House, expect to yell all night to keep a conversation, and also plan on paying about 25.00 for a Rib eye thats kinda like a chuck steak, or total tab was well over 200.00 and the atmosphire sucks!!!!

Tons of Drunks breaking there 1/2 yard tall drinking glasses as shown above the Tab dispensers

• June 24, 2007 at 11:19 pm

Went last night. Parking is $5.00 (with validation) for up to 3 hours, as *clearly* indicated on the sign at Embassy Suites. Its $3.00 per 30 minutes after that, so a 4 hour jaunt will set you back $11.00 for parking. (We were there for three hours.)

The tab for two of us was $99 and change.

The Mac-n-Cheese is best left alone. $16 for something you could make at home without too much trouble. The enchilada, however, was fantastic. Easily the best Mexican food on Oahu.

Oh yeah, the beer wasn’t bad. Now if they would only stock Greene King’s Abbot Ale…

• June 29, 2007 at 7:38 pm

I love the atmosphere. It’s unpretentious yet hip. Tried several martinis on two seperate visits that at $9.50 or so a pop better be good and I was not disappointed. Favorite pupus are the lettuce wraps with diced shitake mushrooms accompanied by three exotic dipping sauces and the spicy tuna roll. Both are attractively presented and portions are generous. Incredibly delicious. Much prefer being there in the late afternoon between the lunch and dinner crowds. The service, by the way, is just outstanding.

Aloha

• August 3, 2007 at 1:53 am

The sound system at the Yardhouse is the best I have ever heard. The music sounds fantastic and the song selections rock. I was very impressed by the overall design and quality of the system as well as the amazing picture quality on all the Hi Def plasma screens. Whoever designed and installed this system should received a medal.

• August 3, 2007 at 6:32 pm

Wow. Never thought someone might overlook the elaborate beer tap plumbing and take more notice to the sound system. But hey, whatever rocks your world! :)

• October 21, 2007 at 7:47 pm

This place is incredible! Its hard to imagine others above would be leaving negative remarks. We simply loved this place!! Will DEFINATELY return next time I’m here.

John
    Nashville, Tn.

• November 16, 2007 at 11:51 pm

We had lunch and some beers and had a teriffic time the only problem was that my wife and her friend had your chicken and avocado rolls and ended up voilently ill. This ruined the rest of our holliday and made the 10 hour flight home very uncomfortable for them so when and if we return to Hawaii we won’t be eating at your place.

Gil Stone
    Newcastle, Australia

• November 19, 2007 at 2:51 am

Haven’t tried the Yard House yet, but am just baffled that two posters think you are affiliated with the restaurant…and somehow responsible for parking charges and/or food poisoning?!

• January 14, 2008 at 8:51 am

Had a great time at Yard house tonight. Great beer and delicious food. But the best part about Yard house is the service. Bartenders are terrific and the rest of the staff all look like they really enjoy working there. Can’t wait to go back.

• January 20, 2008 at 8:00 am

I loved the Yard House. My buddy and I went there twice while we were in Hawaii to watch the UW football game. They have a great happy hour which during football season is extended until the Monday night football game is over. The food was awesome and their beer selection was obviously amazing. What other place can you finish of your meal with a beer float? Believe me when I say you have to try one of their beer floats.

• February 17, 2008 at 6:42 pm

Yardhouse gave me food poisoning. I’ve been sick for 24 hours now.

• February 21, 2008 at 10:57 pm

I was there last June had a great time, good food and beer. I am from Scotland I wore my klit. I was made very welcome, I will visit there again when I return to Hawaii

• February 22, 2008 at 10:46 pm

who designed the yard house and construction company that built it? love that place…

• March 13, 2008 at 4:26 am

Visited the Yard House on 2 occaisons whilst holidaying at Waikiki and fell in love with the place. Great array of top beers with a tremendous world wide selection. Great staff who were more than friendly. Also good T.V. coverage of US sports which cater for all sports fans. Would love to revisit in the future to see how the place progresses.

• March 19, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Soooooooo…how much does a 1/2 yard of beer cost??? How much will that town of onion rings set you back??? Do they have regular beer like bud & bud light??? LOL

• May 18, 2008 at 5:30 am

HA! For one i work at the yardhouse in scottsdale, arizona and it is the best job i’ve ever had. You will not find a more welcoming warm atmosphere or better food for a good price. the employees are not “employees” we are family there and we are very organized, educated about where we work, and polite. from the first to last impression of you being there you will be smiled at and conversed with by many of our staff. We all love to show the guests a great time and we try to make your experience at the yardhouse the best as it can be. We are said to have the worlds largest selection of draft beer – some will say this to be a myth if they attend beerfest in budapest or are alcoholics (just kidding)… but we do have a crazy amount of beers, the amount ranging to 250. at my location we have 130 on tap, 120 different flavors. to make this short i cant stand reading some of these negative comments, thats too damn bad you have to pay $5+ for valet parking, thats not our fault! park somewhere else and walk up your appetite! we higher the volume of the music during the night because most guests enjoy having a few beers to good loud music, it’s not like were the place to take your wife for your 50th anniversary out to anyways (though you can). and besides if you have a problem politely ask our front desk to get a manager to lower it, im sure they will be delighted to. our prices range from $6 to $35 which is amazing for how good our food tastes. my two favorites so far are the chocolate souffle ( YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY) and the california roll which is a tummy filler. the lighting and the whole atmosphere is to my taste perfect so any complaints with that im sorry that you feel that way. EVERYBODY I KNOW LOVES THE YARDHOUSE! i love it too :) eat THERE!

• May 18, 2008 at 6:44 pm

Hi Mary,

It’s nice to hear from someone who actually works there, and truly have great things to say about their employer.

Like any restaurant experience, it’s often about timing and mood. One day someone might be into big burgers, greasy fries, cold beer and ZZ Top cranked up to volume 10, while other times they’d rather be at Sunday mass. I was indeed in the mood for the former on my visit (on several occasions), and always had a favorable experience at the Yard House Waikiki.

Speaking of employees, my neighbor works there, and was there from its inception. A testament that the morale (and surely the money) there is good. Super nice guy.

• October 16, 2008 at 9:27 pm

HI all
    My wife and i visited hawaii indeed the United States for the very first time
    We adorded Hawaii and came across the yard house in Waikiki, we could not believe the total quality of the food, staff and the choice and condition
    of the great beers. We watched American football, and baseball and listened to great music ie Bruce Springstein. We dinned at the bar, on several occasions, i even took photos of the food. To me this will remain
    a great vision of the United States and can recomend to anybody from the
    UK to visit, this is a must.
    Once again thanks to the Yard House staff and management, you are the
    best. From Phil and Gail Dale