S&S Saimin

Sustenance & more Sustenance. That’s what I’ve termed S&S Saimin, my favorite work lunch and overall resort-to meal. S&S has been a household name for Saimin in Hawaii for generations.

Itoen recently sold the brand to H&U Inc., dba Sun Noodle.

I’ve doctored the bowl shown above with Menma (marinated bamboo shoots). Otherwise it comes ready-to-serve in a bowl with FRESH noodles, powdered dashi soup base and all the garnishes including luncheon meat, Kamaboko, and green onions . Simply empty the dashi packet in, add boiling hot water, let it steep for about a minute or two and enjoy. Oishii!

The container bowl is made by a type of poly-styrofoam (with cover) that stands up to the microwave rather well. Since I keep them in the freezer, I usually have to nuke it after adding hot water to restore its heat.

They’re available in the refrigerator section at most Hawaii grocery stores, and also by “bulk” in a box of 12 (5.0 oz. each) for about $8.00. This yields you a “complete” meal for under 80 cents. What a deal! Even if you need to eat two to feel full (like me), that’s still cheap! Love it.

Before these ready-to-serve bowls came out, S&S Saimin was sold in basic form in sealed plastic bags with just the noodles and powdered dashi. You had to add your own garnishes. I’m glad they stepped on the convenience wagon and made it so easy now to enjoy a good bowl of Saimin.

Now that Sun Noodle is running the ship, I hope they take note and do the same thing with their fresh Ramen! Imagine being able to enjoy Chashumen with all the garnishes – just add hot water. That’d be awesome!

Tasty Island Rating:

8 thoughts on “S&S Saimin

• October 15, 2006 at 7:15 am

Looks good. I need to bounce down to my neighborhood Marukai and see if they stock those.

– Chubbypanda

• November 2, 2006 at 8:56 pm

Oh yum–white castle. My first wc burger was in Chicago many years ago and I still remember how it simply melted in my mouth. I’ve never tried the frozen/packaged version, but glad to hear your report.

I don’t know of any wc chains in NYC or Northern Cal, but right now I live near an In-and-Out. Animal-style, yo! And of course, we have Jollibees, a Filipino fast food chain that has a popular “Aloha Burger” complete with a slice of pineapple. Never tried Sonic but have heard amazing things about them.

• November 6, 2007 at 6:47 am

S&S Saimin… Costco was selling it by the box. Don’t know how many S&S saimin container in the box. Does the ingrediants in the S&S saimin includes kamabuko?

Is there a way for me to send some S&S saimin to my son in El Paso Texas? If it has to be refrigerated than I will have a problem sending it.

• November 7, 2007 at 8:12 pm

Mel, the S&S Saimin ready-to-eat bowls are sold in a box of 12 for $7.99 at Oahu’s Costco and Sam’s Club locations. As mentioned in my write-up, it includes the Kamaboko, luncheon meat and fresh green onions. The only thing it DOESN’T include is the Menma (bamboo shoots). That’s a great deal, considering you’d likely spend double that (or more) buying this stuff individually in a vending machine.

The only problem is it takes up a lot of space in the refrigerator. Still, it’s worth the convenience, and those bowls are worth washing and reusing, as you might notice in my post about Pig’s Feet Soup!

• May 22, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Dear Tasty Island,
    Great write up on the S&S Cup Saimin. I am Mike. My father & mother started S&S Saimin in the bag you mentioned. My sister and I developed the cup saimin in about 1984-85. I would like to make a suggestion. Please microwave the frozen cup saimin “as-is” (i.e., in its frozen state, without the dashi bag) for 90 seconds, BEFORE you add the hot water in the cup. Then, add the dashi and hot, boiling water. It is counter intuitive and ironic, but the saimin noodle will have more “koshi,” or al dente or the firm, texture of a good saimin noodle. I appreciate your awesome support for S&S Saimin, and I truly appreciate Sun Noodle taking over our family saimin to the next level. Sun Noodle is a great company! Aloha! Mike

• May 24, 2017 at 8:14 am

Aloha Mike,

Thanks for the tip on microwaving the frozen saimin cup before adding the hot water. I can see how that would improve the “koshi” of the noodles.

Sun Noodle is doing a mighty fine job carrying on the S&S Saimin legacy. I noticed they stopped making the S&S “Old Time Island Style” Saimin product. I suppose sales weren’t that good, but it really was a great product. I loved the shrimp-based dashi it came with. Tasted like Palace Saimin, a very respected saimin stand out in Kalihi.

Apparently the sales of the S&S frozen Saimin bowls are doing well at Costco, as they’re still carrying them, for many years now. I’m guessing vendors buy a lot of them for resale in vending machines and convenience stores.