2006 Okinawan Festival

The 2006 Okinawan Festival was held on Labor Day Weekend, September 2-3, 2006 at Kapiolani Park in Waikiki.

Following is a pictorial overview of the delicious food served at this annual event.

You can also check out a slide show of other Okinawan festival activities and displays by clicking here.

Shave Ice Stand

Champuru: a stir-fried mixture of vegetables and agedofu (deep-fried tofu) served with delicious shoyu pork, a teaspoon of andamisu (pork and miso mixture), and rice — $6 (24
scrips)

Yaki Soba

Okinawan-style Soba Noodles: served in hot soup (not added yet in this photo) and garnished with kamaboko (fishcake), shoyu pork, green onions and red ginger — $4.50 (18 scrips)

Oki Dog: A hotdog and chili wrapped in a soft tortilla with shredded shoyu pork and lettuce — $5.50 (22 scrips). (Shown is stage 1 and 2 of making it.

Oki Dog: Finally, a layer of Okinawan Shoyu Pork (Rafute) is placed over the lettuce, then it’s folded shut typical burrito style and wrapped in aluminum foil for service.

Andagi (Okinawan Doughnut) being deep-fried in a large wok

Andadogs are prepared by bulk with popsicle sticks, then dipped in flour

Then dipped in the Andagi batter and added to the hot wok

Then deep fried until GBD by a full staff of watchful volunteers; these burn very easy due to the sugar in the batter

Finished Andadogs – perfectly golden brown delicious!

Sugoi oishii desu!

Click on the photo above or here to view a slide show of various other activities and displays at this year’s festival!

4 thoughts on “2006 Okinawan Festival

• September 6, 2006 at 6:31 am

everything looks so ono! thanks for sharing these photos …i didn’t have a chance to go, so now i can see what i missed ..haha! i’m really enjoying your site …so local and so fun!

• September 6, 2006 at 11:14 am

yeah I missed it too, just because I live only a few blocks away, I guess. And I agree with Lindy….so local (da blog).

• September 6, 2006 at 6:48 pm

I guess you can add me to the “no show” list. Thanks Pomai for sharing what went on. Talk about a new version of “zippy’s chili hot dog” to go. Sure would have liked to try that. Well, I think I would have liked to try them ALL. Nice photos.

• September 13, 2006 at 1:45 am

I made it, but I only had to come from the S.F. Bay Area! Confirmed once again that andadogs are one of the best things on a stick. One of these days I’ll try the okidog … Fresh, hot andagi is always worth the wait (at least you feel that way once you’re through the line). Yakisoba was also good. If I would have realized that the Okinawa soba was going to be served during bon dancing (I know, I need only have read the program), I would have that instead of dinner elsewhere.

Love the Okinawa Festival.

Had a good time on the rest of Oahu, too! (Kaka’ako Kitchen is fantastic!)