Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Co.

Today we stopped by the Great Hawaiian Company’s cart at Hilo Hattie’s Nimitz Hwy. location to try out their Sirloin Steak Hot Dog for the first time.

The Sirloin Steak Dog shown before all the final condiments are put on. The white sauce is their famous Garlic Sauce. The yellow is cheese . The portions of these two toppings are quite generous. Sorry for the overexposed shot, but I was in a rush to put on the condiments and let the next person go.

Self serve condiments that I’ve opted for here include Japaneno Peppers, Sauerkraut, Onions and Relish. As you can see, it measures about 7″.

The choice at this cart is simple: Choose either the Sirloin Steak Dog or the Smokie (made with Pork), then you will be asked which you’d like to have on that: Secret Garlic Sauce, Spicy Garlic Sauce and/or Melted Cheese. I went with the staffer’s recommendation of Secret Garlic Sauce and Cheese. The dog by itself is $4.00, or you can order the combo for $5.50, which includes a cold canned drink and bag of chips of your choice.

Here’s the Sirloin Steak Dog, cut in half to reveal the texture of the sausage and the white “Secret Garlic Sauce”

After you receive your dog, you finish topping it yourself at the condiment station next to the window. The usuals are there, along with a Thai Chili Sauce, BBQ Sauce and Squeeze Cheese.

Above the condiment station is a guide on how to build these custom dogs using the various condiments and toppings available:

• THE TAI KWON DOG: Secret Spicy Garlic Sauce, Kim Chee, Ketchup, Mustard, Jalapenos, Onions.
  • The ALL AMERICAN: Ketchup, Mustard, Relish, Onions.
  • THE BACKWOODS DOG: Secret Spicy Garlic Sauce, Bacon, BBQ Sauce, Relish
  • THE NEW YORKER: Mustard, Sauerkraut,
  • THE WORKS: Secret Garlic Sauce, Bacon, Kim Chee & EVERYTHING ELSE
  • THE REAL PANIOLO: Bacon, Guava Jelly , Japenos
  • THE BIG KAHUNA: Secret Garlic Sauce, Bacon, Ketchup, Mustard, Squeeze Cheese, Thai Chili Sauce, Sauerkraut, Jalapenos, Relish, Onions

So how is it?

I’m not sure if I put too much condiments on it (which I actually held back more than usual), but I could barely taste the secret garlic sauce. Odd, considering how generous of a portion was laid on. The sauce itself has a slight garlic flavor, but not as intense as I expected; more like a lightly flavored mayonnaise. I also don’t think it needed the cheeze (wiz?), as the garlic sauce added enough extra “thickness” (and extra calories/fat) to the package.

The sausage wasn’t as beefy as I thought it would be either, considering its name, and was more soft than crunchy. The bun is your typical off-the-shelf sesame seed variety.

Overall, it sort of was a homogenous “this is a pretty good hot dog” experience, but neither the dog nor the sauce made a selling point on their own terms.

I need to return and try the pork-based SMOKIE, which is touted as having a “snap” to it. Next time, without no other topping or condiments but the secret garlic sauce.

Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Co. cart, located at the street level entrance (where bus depot is) at Hilo Hattie on Nimitz Hwy. (adjacent to Zippy’s and City Mill). Service on our visit was excellent. Other cart locations around Honolulu listed on their website.

www.GreatHawaiian.com

16 thoughts on “Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Co.

• August 7, 2006 at 9:26 pm

I agree with you on the “special” garlic sauce. It was on sale at Longs, so I purchase 2 bottles. Tasted like a mild mayonnaise with a very slight garlic flavor. Nothing special. Good to mix with other things to make a creamy salad dressing.

• August 8, 2006 at 3:22 pm

da hot dog doesn’t look that ono…..now if it was on redondos…..das one different story..

• August 9, 2006 at 6:40 pm

Lance, thanks for the info on the store-bought version of the “secret garlic sauce”.

I really thought it was the other condiments that might have overpowered it, but you’ve just validated that it was, indeed, the “mildness” of the sauce.

Kelly, mahalo for your honesty! :-)

• August 18, 2006 at 4:44 am

I just bought a really garbage hot dog cart from precisioncarts.com. There products are really bad, I have about 8 items on the cart broken. I love the Hawaiian hot dog, and I try and sell them here in texas. People love them, but I’m bummed out over purchasing this stupid cart from those thieves at precisioncarts.com

• January 30, 2007 at 12:04 am

Hi Danny,
    I am thinking about selling hot dogs in Texas myself. I am close to Dallas. However, I would go to the South of Texas or the middle to sell really great dogs. Not Chicago or New York style, but this Hawain thing interests me a lot.
    So if I could talk to you I wold appreciate it very much.
    What part of Texas are you working?
    I would love to chat with you. Email me and we can have a start if you like. I am an older person pretty much retired and I am bored to death. I have to go do something soon.

Stan Blackwell – Richardson, Texas

• February 12, 2007 at 8:23 pm

Hi Stan-
    Feel free to contact me at http://www.GreatHawaiian.com and I’d be happy to chat with you about our Great Hawaiian Sirloin Dogs and the Secret Garlic Sauce!
    Mike-Honolulu Hawaii

• October 18, 2007 at 6:22 am

Hi do you know where I can buy portuguese sausage and saimin here in dallas texas? grocery stores that sells hawaiian items? thanks

• January 14, 2008 at 6:32 am

THIS DOG IS THE BEST, MAN DO I MISS THE SECRET GARLIC SAUSE. EVERYTIME I CME BACK TO THE ISLAND I ALWAYS GOTTA GET A DOG.. VERY SAD THAT THEY DONT SELL THE SAUCE ANYMORE… YUMMY=)

• April 26, 2008 at 3:45 am

ScooterAl, I’m not sure about the status on Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Company, as the one in front of CompUSA in Kaka’ako left the building along with the store itself back in March of this year.

They also aren’t located at the Hilo Hattie location anymore, either.

• January 18, 2009 at 4:21 pm

HELLO MY HUSBAND AND I WHERE THERE @ GREAT HAWAIIAN HOT DOG COM

GREAT GARLIC HOT DOG COULD YOU TELL ME WHERE I CAN ORDER THIS SPECIAL GARLIC SAUCE? PLEASE HELP

THANKS TRACEY

• January 18, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Tracey, I don’t think the Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Co. is in business anymore. At least I personally haven’t seen any around my neck of the woods ever since CompUSA left town early last year. Their website has been dormant for a while now too.

Even when they were in business, I don’t recall seeing their “Secret Sauces” in any of our local supermarkets. You only could get them at their hot dog stands. They were kinda’ expensive too. Like $6 for a standard-sized squirt bottle.

As noted in my review, I thought the garlic sauce was rather subtle than “garlicy”. I’m guessing you could easily duplicate it at home by mixing garlic powder (or garlic salt?) into mayonnaise. That’s kinda’ what it tasted like IIRC. Even better perhaps if you use fresh minced garlic. Their sauce didn’t have minced garlic in it, but I think that would have kicked it up, which it really needed.

You might also want to try making it half mayonnase, half sour cream. There might have been sour cream in it, but I can’t remember as it was so long ago that I had that.

• January 18, 2009 at 4:53 pm

POMAI,
    THANKS FOR THAT INFO HUSBAND AND I WHERE @ HILO HATTIE DEC OF 2007 THAT’S WHEN WE HAD THE GARLIC HOT DOG.

MAHALO

• June 7, 2009 at 10:39 am

Hello can anyone help me on cook time and oven temp on a 23lb Chuck Roll Roast.

What I’m trying to do is make Kula with beef not pork

Thanks Tracey

• May 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Hello Foodies! Hilo Hatties seems like a lifetime ago. Thank you all for your support. Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Company is still located in front of Moose’s on Lewers Street. We are there every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday nights from 10PM to 4:04 AM. The same killer Sirloin Steak Dogs and Great Hawaiian Secret Garlic Sauce and we have added Pulled Pork to the menu! The sandwich alone is AWESOME and putting our scratch made, slow roasted Pulled Pork on top of one of our Sirloin Steal Dogs takes it to a whole new level!

We have also opened a new location called the Sandwich Station at Sam’s Club in town on the 3rd floor. Pulled Pork, Hot Pastrami, Steak Sandwiches and our Classic Nachos and all are available with our Great Hawaiian Secret Garlic Sauce! We hope to serve you very soon! Cheers- Mike

• January 10, 2016 at 12:12 pm

Huge fan of the Great Hawaii Hot Dog Company.  We try to get here about once a month or so.  Here are few pictures of the food we ordered.  https://lookintohawaii.com/hawaii/10620/great-hawaiian-hot-dog-restaurant-oahu-honolulu-hi