Li Hing Plum Candy

I was in Blockbuster video the other day, where oddly enough, they had this Ling Hing Plum Candy. What intrigued me more than the candy itself was the fact that the packaging had a YICK LUNG label attached to it.

Yick Lung was a household name for crackseed to generations of Hawaii folks, until only recently mostly being absent from local retail shelves.

Well, anything deserving of the Yick Lung brand had to be good, so I decided to buy a bottle ($1.25) and give it a try.

First, a fact to get straight is this product is NOT manuctured by Yick Lung. It’s branded as Valiente’s™, distributed by Star Pacific Trading and manufactured in Malaysia.

The tablets are shaped into what appears to be an extruded silhouette of a plum, measuring 7/16″x1/4″ each.

As for the taste, at first it may hit you as weird. Especially if you’re used to eating conventional Li Hing Mui plum seeds. As you suck on the tablet, you’re hit with a sweet-salty-tangy flavor that dissolves rather quickly into a powdery confection.

I’d say the manufacturer did a good job balancing the Li Hing Mui flavor level. Not overpowering. Just right. At first I thought is was sort of “starchy”, but after a few tablets, you become acclimated and just taste the Li Hing Mui.

There’s no question this will never replace real Li Hing Mui plum seeds, but it does a good job for what it’s worth. Enough that there’s probably kids out there who already love this stuff.

If you see it in the store, at least give it a try.

Ingredients: Plum Powder, Citric Acid, Glucose, Saccharin, Salt, Ascorbic Acid, FD&C Red 40.

12 thoughts on “Li Hing Plum Candy

• July 27, 2006 at 8:09 pm

i dont know about dis candy brah…..li hing mui is ono….but dis looks all hemajang brah!

• August 4, 2006 at 7:11 pm

Howzit Kelly,

“Hemajang”. lol Classic pidgin slang! Still, don’t knock it until you try it!

Mahalo for visiting Da’ Island!

• August 25, 2006 at 7:16 am

I had to grin at this entry. My sister in law gave me some of these. She too bought it at Blockbuster. Your description is exactly what I felt too. It kinda tasted like the Prune Candy in the brown and white wrapper. It can be addicting !

• August 30, 2006 at 4:32 pm

I’m a kama’aina ex-pat living in San Diego, so the product will probably never come our way. But I do miss the old Yick Lung cracked seed of my youth. If I was at Blockbuster back home (I’m from Ewa Beach), the label would’ve caught my attention, too!

Which brings up the question, “Do they have a license to use the old Yick Lung trademark?”

Just gets curiouser and curiouser…

• June 15, 2007 at 6:08 am

Do any of you know where to buy li hing mui flavored syrup for shave ice. I just scored a sweet, professional grade Japanese shave ice machine to introduce all my neignbors to real, local kine shave ice. I’ve purchased forty different syrup falvors but can’t find anything on the Internet that sells li hing flavored syrup. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• September 15, 2007 at 6:27 am

Still can get Li Hing Mui thou you like? Ala Moana crackedseedcenter.com has ’em.
    Plenty good kine too…Go look, I tell you I know, I buy them all the time. They deliver in 2 days… Da Bes’
    Aloha!

• January 6, 2008 at 1:45 am

Yeah I eat this stuff haha. Ive bought it for going on five years now from Kays Crackseed in Manoa (Voted #1 in the Star Bulletin or advertiser… i forgot.) But yeah it is pretty Ono but like its already been said, its no substitute for the real Li hing Mui seeds.

Price at Kays Crackseed is 1.50
    Ive seen it at the Kaimuki Crackseed Store right of Waialae too for 1.00

• September 22, 2008 at 12:53 am

I am looking for cracked seed and butter fish laulau. Also I am looking for rice crackers with penuts and sesseme seed candy with penuts. Can anyone send this to me in the mainland and what are the prices or where may i obtain these foods?

• February 17, 2009 at 8:43 am

Man,Im eatin sum li hing mui fruit salad nd it ish gud..I haven’t had li hing mui in lyke so foreva..Hella ppl sed dat its nasty,but i was lyke”Dnt dog on it,if u havent tried it”.I mean dnt b doggin on it cuz its so dam gud to me nd my ohana…I mean,I was born nd raised in oahu..I lyke li hing mui..I miss hawaii so much,but im glad to b goin bak 2 da islands…Oh nd can somebody send the prices of li hing mui candy to me?bcuz i live in las vegas nd i need sum li hing mui candy..So please send me it cuz dey only have a few stores wit it here..

• February 12, 2012 at 2:58 pm

There’s nothing like Li Hing Mui!! The really thing, the originial. I ordered some seed from a company in Hawaii and was disappointed to say the least. I grew up in Hawaii and came back as an adult. Sigh, da good ole days…

• March 24, 2015 at 8:58 am

I really enjoy these candies. They taste just like li hing mui. I buy maybe 3 bottles every time.